I hope you want to get healthy now and improve your health this year. Think about the areas in which you need to make healthy changes and the reasons why you need to make those changes. Better yet, write the reasons down. You want to stay focused on the desired result you want so you successfully create the positive changes.
Here are six ways to get healthy and live a healthy life. Any of these is where you could (or should) begin taking small steps to living a healthy life.
- Avoid fad diets – Avoid crash or fad diets. These diets just mess up your metabolism and none of them should be long term. Think “lifestyle” instead of “diet.” Diets are traditionally more temporary whereas lifestyle changes are permanent and ongoing. You have to learn to live with food since you cannot live without it, so developing healthy eating habits is the only “diet” you should be on.
- Get a buddy – Work with a buddy, trainer, coach, or all three. Having supportive people on board is huge. You want to surround yourself with people who will support your efforts to the end, which sets you up for success. A motivated friend or wellness coach can help keep you on track and hold you accountable.
- Read food labels – The ingredients are actually more important to read than the Nutrition Facts information on food labels. After all, if the ingredients aren’t healthy it really doesn’t matter what the nutritional facts add up to. The Guide to Healthy Eating: Seven Secrets for Smart Shoppers details seven main food ingredient categories you should avoid when shopping for foods for you (and your family). Studies show that those who read food labels are more likely to lose weight than those who only exercise.
- Eat lots of fruits and vegetables – The more fruits and vegetables you can eat every day the better. Did you know the recommended amount is now 7 – 13 servings per day? Keep in mind variety and lots of color when choosing produce and don’t forget to buy organic or sustainable where possible. Although the majority of my food budget is spent on fruits, vegetables and whole grains, our family bridges the gap with Juice Plus+®. It’s the next best thing to eating fresh, raw fruits and vegetables and a whole lot cheaper too!
- Sleep well – Make sure you get adequate sleep to avoid stress and to assist your efforts in the other areas of your health, like making wise decisions. Most people need between 7 and 9 hours sleep per day. Anything less or more is detrimental to your health.
- Schedule daily exercise – Exercising daily is just as important as brushing your teeth. Does anyone question the need to brush their teeth? Then why do so many not see the need for regular physical activity? This one area alone assists all the other health areas of your life. Being physically active helps you sleep better, think better, maintain your weight, feel better, and on and on. Just do it!
You may already be successful in some of these areas, need to pick up the pace in one, or still trying to decide where to begin. Choose one of these and take action in small steps so you will be successful and build your confidence and belief in yourself. Let me know how I can help you.
To your wellness,