Before, During and
It takes nine months to grow a baby and eighteen years to raise a child, yet most moms spend the majority of their time during pregnancy preparing only for their baby’s delivery.
Each year thousands of women face complications during pregnancy and/or delivery due to a lack of knowledge about proper prenatal care. Good health for mother and baby begins before conception and continues well after delivery.
L.E.A.N. Expectations are workshops that provide pregnant and nursing mothers with current education, resources and strategies in the four areas of health: Lifestyle, Exercise, Attitude and Nutrition.
Moms who practice L.E.A.N. are more likely to:
- Have a healthier pregnancy
- Deliver healthier babies
- Experience less complicated labors
- Have a faster and smoother recovery from birth
- Avoid pregnancy complications such as gestational diabetes, toxemia, anemia, leg cramps, heartburn and obesity
Babies born to moms who practice L.E.A.N. are more likely to:
- Be born at a healthy weight
- Not be born premature
- Have fewer congenital defects
- Show better brain growth
- Not be overweight as adults
A study by the Harvard Institute of Public Health found that 95% of women who consumed a nutritious diet had healthy babies compared to 65% of women who ate mainly junk food had premature, malnourished, functionally immature, or still born babies.
Dr. Sears’ L.E.A.N. Expectations consists of three, two-hour workshops that provide an opportunity for expecting and nursing women to connect and build relationships with others while learning practical ways to positively impact the health of both mother and baby before, during and after pregnancy.
These workshops can be taken one at a time or as a series and can be taken at any time from pre-pregnancy through the first trimester of post-partum. Each workshop is appropriate for any stage of pregnancy based on the needs of the participant. As part of the workshop, expectant parents will receive the appropriate L.E.A.N. Expectations Book for the workshop they are attending.
- Prepare RIGHT Now – Turn your Pregnancy into a Healthy New Beginning. This workshop focuses on lifestyle choices, attitude and exercise at any stage of pregnancy.
- Eat RIGHT Now – Experience Optimal Nutrition During Pregnancy and Beyond. This workshop focuses on nutritional needs before, during and after pregnancy.
- Live RIGHT Now – Make a Smooth Transition from Pregnancy to Motherhood. This workshop focuses on the transitional needs of both mom and baby during the first few months at home.
Objective: L.E.A.N. Expectations educates parents who are planning a pregnancy, currently expecting or have recently had a baby on lifestyle, exercise, attitude and nutrition for both the mother and their unborn baby. Research has shown that healthy lifestyle, attitude, exercise and nutrition choices made by women during their pregnancy have a positive impact on the health of both mother and baby. Additionally, babies whose mothers take good care of themselves while pregnant tend to have easier deliveries and better overall health.
L.E.A.N. Expectations workshops were developed by world renowned physician Dr. Bill Sears and Martha Sears, R.N., a leading childbirth educator and breast feeding consultant. Dr. Sears has authored over 40 books including The Birth Book, The Breastfeeding Book, and the newly released The Healthy Pregnancy Book. Together, their combined experience has created a complete program that is simple, relevant and meets the women in any stage of pregnancy.
Dr. Sears L.E.A.N. is a program of the Dr. Sears Wellness Institute and only taught by certified health coaches.