Establishing healthier habits to preserve or improve your quality of life is not always easy and requires effort and consistency on your part. You can bring about change in your daily life by transforming your thoughts or changing your perspective of life.
Here are some suggested steps that can help you improve your health and well being according to your desires and expectations. These nine steps will bring you closer to achieving permanent, positive changes to improve your health and your quality of life.
- The first and foremost step is to acknowledge a willingness to change and be willing to learn proper ways to carry that out. If you just think about or jot down the changes you desire and then forget about them, it will do you no good. If you are resistant to the changes you need to make then these steps will prove to be of no value. You may feel discouraged at times and some people may put up obstacles in your way to try and prevent you from bringing about desired changes, for yourself as well as them, but persistence and determination will keep you in charge and focused on your desired outcome.
- Another important step is to be aware of the exact changes you want to make. Merely wishing to change or improve an aspect of your life is not enough. You can make a list of the changes you would like to see and work towards achieving them, perhaps one at a time. Transforming these changes into reality becomes easy once you have the list in front of you. You can also categorize the habits you want to improve or change, such as diet/nutrition, drinking more water, exercise, stress management, better sleep and rest, work, relationships, fun and recreation, etc. This helps you form a clear understanding of what you desire to accomplish.
- One of the first steps to consider as you begin making healthier choices is to avoid complaining about what you are giving up or find hard to start. Most of us have a tendency to complain and create in our mind’s excuses for why something won’t work or why it will be hard for us to follow through.If you complain about what you know you need to do differently then you will create resistance and this only slows down your progress to achieve your desired results.
- Be sure you aren’t focusing and dwelling on the enormousness of your current circumstances of what all you need or want to change or about what hasn’t worked in the past. Second guessing or worrying only leads to higher levels of stress, which again affects your health in a negative way. This hurdle, on your journey to establish healthier habits, may at times seem difficult to overcome. You can make more effective, positive changes if you keep your mind focused on the positive results you are striving to achieve. So get rid of any anxiety and fears as soon as possible.
- As you begin observing positive changes in your life, you will be encouraged and motivated to initiate other healthful and positive changes. You can also reward yourself once in a while when you’re experiencing success in a particular area of change. Rewarding yourself as you experience better health and meet your goals will keep you motivated and you’ll be more inclined to incorporate additional changes to improve your overall health and well being.
- If you want to improve a particular area of your health, say a specific physical condition or ailment, then you might analyze your present situation. What have you been doing that has contributed to your current state of health? What have you tried before that hasn’t seemed to work? Then begin the process of strategizing in order to create your own personal action plan that may include the need to improve your eating habits and become more active.
- Making changes and establishing new healthier habits sometimes can be difficult to deal with. During these times, you may need support from friends and loved ones. You can ask them for their support and help while making these changes in your life. The right support can be of great help at such times. Do not be too hard on yourself and be sure to seek help when needed.
- As you begin to make necessary changes you may need to reevaluate the way you look at certain things. You likely have certain pre-conceived ideas about particular things, which may be more difficult to change. Start noticing the positive aspects about the journey you’re on to improve your health. You may need to change your perspective about giving up the old well established “unhealthy” habits as you replace them with new healthier habits. Keep your mind open and willing to learn new things and get ideas from others who have gone before you. This will also help to keep you motivated.
- You can also seek help from a trained individual, known as a health coach, who can coach (encourage) you along the way and help hold you accountable with regards to your desire for change. This can be very beneficial if you tend to find it rather difficult to stick to a course of action in order to bring about a desired change, especially if you’ve tried unsuccessfully before. The purpose of a health coach is to assist you in establishing your own personal action plan to accomplish your goals that ultimately will bring about permanent, life-changing healthier results that will ultimately improve your quality of life.
Can you identify with any of these steps as being a struggle for you as you’ve attempted to make positive changes in your life?
To your health and wellness,
p.s. “It’s not so much that we’re afraid of change or so in love with the old ways, but it’s that place in between that we fear ….It’s like being between trapezes. It’s Linus when his blanket is in the dryer. There’s nothing to hold on to.” ~ Marilyn Ferguson